Tuesday, July 14, 2009

July 11


July 11

Happy Birthday to me. Ok, so I really missed having my family around and when I woke Lance up at 6:30 am, U. S. time he wasn’t very conversational, but it was probably one of my most memorable birthdays ever. My band of brothers and sisters were thoughtful and tasteful. I didn’t really want a big deal made about my birthday, but I also didn’t want it to go unnoticed, so I didn’t keep it a secret or anything.

This was our last day in Grahamstown, and I wanted to get some gifts for my friends and family. After breakfast, I spent some time at the internet café, the nicest one I’ve been to on the road, a really homey feeling, not high tech and using black lights, like the one in Cape Town. I had tea, emailed, uploaded my blogs and pictures. Then I went to the Eastern Cape Orchestra. These amazingly colorful men and women made beautiful music and explained Xhosa tribal traditions in between.

I then went to the Village Green and spent more money than I should have on gifts for my friends. I’m still looking for the right gift for Lance, but I got Darrin something. After the Village Green my friends bought me dinner at Calabash, the same South African restaurant from Friday. I had the butternut spinach lasagna…MMMMMM! But the best was yet to come. I went to a jazz concert after with Simpwahae Dana and Freshly Ground. Both acts were very good, but Freshly Ground was my favorite. I fully intend to order from Amazon so that the DVD and CD will be there when I get home. The music is great, but their stage performance was magnificent. I videotaped a couple of the numbers, but there was a lot of tall people dancing in front of me for most of the show so that’s all I could get. Trust me when I say they were legen….(wait for it) dary.

It really was probably one of the better birthdays I had, and when I got back to my room, Amy F, aka New Hampshire Amy, had decorated my door with wrapping paper, balloons, and a card signed by everyone. It made my night. I took a picture, and will keep the card.

2 comments: