Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Heart Transplant


July 1
Today I was feeling much better and ventured to the University for a wonderful lecture on the inequities of education and how language plays a role in it. We also had our small group presentation today, leading discussion on the state of culture and society, including music, healthcare, gender, and literature. We also went to Groode Schuur, the site of the first heart transplant. In the first room, they had a dog strapped down to a table as an experiment. It was a fake dog of course, but nonetheless, I was grossed out. I couldn’t really look at the thing. However, the Dr. Barnard was a hotty and quite the ladies man, I gather from his photos with Diana, Princess Grace Kelly, and his three progressively hotter wives. Of course they had wax figures set up for the process of both the removing and replacement of the heart from the 13 year old donor to the old guy who didn’t live very long after the replacement. I’m sure for a scientist, this would have been all very fascinating, but I was not really into it. I could appreciate the amount of work put into the process and the fact that it was breaking ground, medically, but I don’t think I got the full impact of the significance of the whole waxed statue three dimensional recreation. However, as Rich (my professor) said when we got back onto the bus, “it is quite unlike anything we had ever seen.”

1 comment:

  1. I once went to an open heart operation at the UW (HIgh school biology field trip). The ceiling was quite blinding once I woke up from passing out! Never saw a thing but the thought of it threw my body for a loop...literally!

    ReplyDelete