Tuesday, August 11, 2009

August 3-4


August 3rd was our last day of lectures. Betsy did a great lesson on the state of South Africa’s economy, the impact of employment and foreign investments. She had a lot to say about the infrastructure spending South Africa is doing now to prepare for the World Cup and had the same question we all do, “What happens in 2011?” When the eye of the world leaves South Africa, will Zuma continue to pump as much money into development?

We also had our “retrospective” look at South Africa. There were quite a few tears shed by people who have grown attached to their colleagues and friends as well as the country. I didn’t cry, but I was the third one to speak. Tommy had some great haikus, I’d love to get some copies and share them with you. He captures in syllables some stunning pictures, funny and honest, about the country. It is a very original way to view South Africa. Kim was poignant and memorable, such an articulate writer. I aspire to give you the same impressions that he gives his readers.

Later that night, we went to the African Café and celebrated. We had a 13 course meal of different African dishes, some good, some not. My favorite was the curry and the cassava bread, a bread with yogurt and cheese cooked in. We said our formal goodbyes to Rich and Kay, Chris and Kim drew them beautiful cards with caricatures of themselves. I gave Xolani the card and tip money I had collected for him and Rich did the same for Richard. It was a boisterous night and I was sort of sad that it wasn’t more conducive to discussion. Melanie and I sat together with Xolani, Richard, Rich, Kay, and our other guests. It was interesting sitting away from the majority of the group. I had felt all trip that I was on the outside of the group, looking in and in this case I really was. While I like many of my fellow travelers, I don’t feel that there were many close bonds created. I sat looking at these people I didn’t know six weeks ago and won’t know in three more days, and I knew that I was ready to come home more than anything else.
August 4, one last road trip. We went out to Tulbagh and saw yet another old Cape Dutch building, this time a church and to the Afrikaans language monument. I think Rich described it best when he said it was a phallic symbol of the Afrikaans. It was indeed, a long one...used to screw the African natives and give the finger to the British invaders simultaneously.

No comments:

Post a Comment