Saturday, August 1, 2009

August 1, 2009


We began this morning at 8:45 am. We went to Green Market Square in downtown Capetown, where I bought a wrap around skirt and cute new bag as well as some elephant earrings, all for under $50.00. It’s difficult shopping sometimes around here because I want to be fair for them and fair to my own pocket book and the Green Market is a place that expects haggling. Sometimes I’m really good at it, better when it’s a man than a woman. Other times, I feel the price they’re asking is fair, but I know they expect me to haggle.

We then went to the Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens, Melanie and I walked through the sculpture garden which had a lot of sculptures to celebrate women and family. The gardens were not blooming very much, but they are wonderfully landscaped and encompass 48 hectares. We had a nice little lunch at the snack bar, butternut soup, Greek salad, and apple tart with coffee.

From there, we went to visit Groot Constantia, an estate and winery started in 1685 by Simon van der Steel, the governor at the time. The wine wasn’t really up to par, but the grounds were lovely and the company even better. The ride home took us through some long and windy roads above Capetown and lovely views of the city. It’s too bad that the day was overcast because Table Mountain was hidden under the clouds. I took a really cute picture of Melanie in a hallowed out tree, and she took one of me. I really enjoy hanging out with Melanie. She’s got a great sense of humor and has just the right amount of attitude.

Tonight, Heather, Erika, Mary, Jane, Kori, and I are going to stay the night at Vicki’s B & B in Khayelitsha, a township outside of Capetown. When I asked the crotchy deskman to help me dial the number, he made sure to tell me the story about the German tour bus that went there and was attacked and a German man’s finger was cut off for his diamond ring. Yeah, thanks Mister…that makes me feel so much better.

2 comments: