Sunday, September 6, 2009

This is where the Beyond starts

Ok, so I have been back from Africa for one month exactly, and as much as it had an impact on my life, I must admit that there are limited outward signs of change, which is a little frustrating. I sort of wish I could pack my bags and go "DO" something, make change happen, but realistically, I have committments, obligations to friends, family, employers, and students - people who are counting on me to be here to do what they expect me to do.

Rich was right, as soon as I say South Africa, peoples' eyes glaze over. They're not interested in the AIDS epidemic or the state of the townships, but hey if I bring out a baby elephant picture...they're all over it!

So, what do I do now? Ok, well this is where I started. I teach at a 7-9 junior high for most of my assignment and am part of a "team" of teachers who share the same 150 or so kids. Our "team" has adopted Ubuntu, I am because We are, as our motto. We're working on creating an Ubuntu crew of students who will be our core welcoming body for new students and sit on a panel to make "team" decisions. HOWEVER, I am not really on the team because I don't have common planning with these people (the teachers). I only see 25 of the 150 students we "share" and I'm stuck in a hole behind the stage where I see ABSOLUTELY no other adult all day, unless I run into someone at the copier. Great "team"! So, I'm left to sit and hope they take the Ubuntu concept and run with it.

What else is going on? Well, I'm writing three new curriculums for three classes I haven't taught in 8 years and it's a little difficult to go far beyond day to day prep work. I have started meeting with my National Board candidates from my school district and will be working with them throughout the year. I have picked two plays to develop for spring semester, one as a class project, one as a school project, and I've been asked to go to Philadelphia for the NCTE convention in Novemeber. That's about it for now. I'll keep you posted on how the "team" works out.

No comments:

Post a Comment